Alvah Alonzo Bunnell
Alvah Alonzo Bunnell, son of Eli Bunnell and Mary Ann Phebe Caulder, was born 08 Aug 1854 in Columbia CO, FL, and died 21 Mar 1944 in Miami, Dade CO, FL. He was married on 14 Oct 1877 in Putnam CO, FL to Susan Cynthia Goodwin, born 24 Feb 1857, GA, died 10 Sep 1931, Miami, Dade CO, FL. Both are buried at Miami Memorial Park Cemetery (Section B, Eastside), Miami, Dade CO, FL.
Sometime before 18 Jun 1880, when the 1880 US Census was taken, and in which his occupation was listed as farmer, he moved his family from Columbia CO to Espanola in present-day Flagler County to homestead and proved up on his claim on 24 Sep 1890. He moved to Bunnell sometime after 07 Apr 1890, when his son Gus was born in Espanola, and 16 Jun 1900, when the US Federal census was taken for Bunnell, Precinct 7, St. Johns CO, FL. His occupation in the 1900 census is listed as Mfr, lumber and singles.
Official records of the U. S.Postal Service show that Alvah A. Bunnell was apponted as postmaster for Bunnell on 05 Oct 1892.
In the minutes of the Board of Public Instruction of St. Johns County of 27 June 1894 was found, "Petition from Bunnell asking the establishing of a school." Then in Sept 1894 was found, "Miss Mary Lund was assigned to Bunnell."
Again on 26 Jan 1897 and on 24 Feb 1897 requests from Mrs. Bunnell for a school were reported in the Board Minutes. In a letter of Oct 1897, Mrs. Bunnell stated there were fourteen children of school age. A school at Bunnell Stop was mentioned in the minutes of June, Aug and Oct of 1898. Rural schools would often only operate for a few months, some as little as three months and would close if the enrollment fell.
In 1904, the saw mill was moved and and a store he had established, was sold to a Mr. I. H. Hyden. Alvah his wife, eight sons and two daughters then moved to Miami where they are found in that 1910 Census of North Miami, Dade CO, FL with his occupation given as manager, cigar factory; sons Gilbert and Gus were mechanics in a garage and son Emmett was a saleman in an auto store. Issue;
1. Messer Alonzo Bunnell, born 08 Feb 1879, St Johns CO now Flagler CO, FL, died 17 Apr 1963, Mountain Sanitorium and Hospital, Hendersonville, Henderson CO, NC, buried Old Johnsonville Cemetery, Florence CO, SC, married Winifred E. (Winnie) Hunter, dau of James Auldridge Hunter and Ruth Raulerson, born 02 Mar 1883, Espanola, St Johns now Flagler CO, FL, died 12 Feb 1958, Flagler Clinic and Hospital, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, (Div).
On his World War I Draft Registration Card dated 12 Sep 1918, he is shown living in Okeechobee CO, GA with his occupation listed as "operator, steam boat." He listed his next of kin as Edith Janie Bunnell, also of Okeechobee CO, FL. In the 1920 Census, he is still in Okeechobee CO, FL with his occupation listed as "engineer, steam boat."
Messer Alonzo Bunnell married 2nd, Edith Jane Prosser, dau of William Prosser and Ellen (LNU), born about 1878, England, died 1948, Dade CO, FL, buried Cassadaga Cemetery, Cassadaga, Volusia CO, FL.
Messer Alonzo Bunnell married 3rd, 1940, Miami, Dade CO, FL, Thelma L. Perry, born about 1893, SC
Messer Alonzo Bunnell married 4th, Elma Poston
His obituary says that he was survived by his widon Elma Poston Bunnell, one daughter, one grandson, two brothers, two sisters and one step-daughter.
Winnie Hunter Bunnell married 2nd Harry F. Conley. She is buried in Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. See sketch on James Auldridge Hunter for additional information on this family.
2. Mary Augusta. Bunnell, born 04 Feb 1881, St Johns CO, FL (near Matanzas River), died 19 Apr 1979, DeKalb CO, GA, married Jesse Franklin Vann, son of William Henry Vann, born 03 Nov 1880, Coumbus CO, NC, died May 1959, Dade CO, GA. Jesse was a salesman. In 1910 the family is in Tampa, FL, in 1920, they are in Kenmore, NY and in 1930, they are in Miami, FL, afterwards moving to Tucker, GA. Both are buried in Miami Memorial Park, Miami, Dade CO, FL. Issue:
(1) Mary C Vann, born Sep 1909, FL
(2) Lloyd Frank Vann, born 26 Jun 1911, FL, died 02 Jul 1988, Miami, Dade CO, FL, buried Miami Memorial Park, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married Carolyn LNU, born about 1909, FL (Divorced)
(3) Alvah Edison Vann, born 11 Jul 1914, FL, died 04 Apr 1997, Fulton CO, GA, married about 1939, Pasco CO, FL, Horacetine Simms, dau of Horace Allen Simms and Sarah Lucretia Taylor, born 11 Aug 1920, GA died 24 Jan 2012. Both buried Melwood Cemetery, Stone Mountain, DeKalb CO, GA
3. Luther Elethere (Eliphs) Bunnell, born 29 Oct 1882, St Johns CO, FL (near Matanzas River), died 04 Aug 1952, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married Ada Mae Lee, daughter of William Washington Lee and Darmer Elizabeth Mitchell, born 06 Oct 1887, New Smyrna, Volusia CO, FL, died 20 Apr 1974, Miami, Dade CO, FL. Both buried Miami Memorial Park, Miami, Dade CO, FL.
Luther moved to Miami from Bunnell at the turn of the century. He owned the dredge that dug the first canal in Miami Beach. Later he was supervisor of the Miami Police Department garage for 17 years. Upon retirement, he took a job with the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission which he left in 1949. Issue:
(1) Luther Gifford Bunnell, born 08 Mar 1909, Miami, Dade CO, FL, died 01 Jun 1993, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married 18 Jan 1934, Miami, Dade CO, FL, Gladys Wynne Corbett, dau of Amos Wooten Corbett and Susie Adele Middleton, born 09 Jun 1909, died 17 Mar 1988, Miami, Dade CO, FL. Issue;
A. Martha Lynn Bunnell, born 17 Jan 1935, married David Dennis Parker, son of Lynwood T Parker and Elizabeth, born about 1935, Hillsborough CO, FL. Issue:
a. Lesley Lynn Parker, born 09 Nov 1958
b. Melissa Ann Parker, born 03 Nov 1960
c. John David Parker, born 11 Mar 1965
(2) Mary Elizabeth Bunnell, born about 1912, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married 1931, Dade CO, FL Cecil Alton Peacock, born 29 Aug 1909, died 10 May 1983, Dade CO, FL. He was a real estate salesman. Issue;
A. Cecil Alton Peacock, Jr, born 07 Nov 1936, Miami, Dade CO, FL, died 24 Oct 1986, Miami, Dade CO, FL , buried Miami Memorial Park, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married Llwana Jean Flora, Jan 1960, Hillsborough CO, FL (Divorced)
Cecil Alton Peacock, Jr, married 2nd 23 Nov 1983, Miami, Dade CO, FL, Eileen Ann Shirley (Divorced)
(3) Virginia Lee Bunnell, born about 1914, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married 1942, Dade CO, FL (Unknown)
4. George Elie Bunnell, born 17 Aug 1884, Pellicer Creek, St Johns CO, FL, died 16 Sep 1934, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married 17 Aug 1912, NY, Euna Lillian Parce, dau of Fred Eugene Parce and Lola Etta Crocker, born 21 Feb 1890, NY, died Jan 1957. He was a concrete and general contractor in the Dade CO, FL area. Issue:
(1) Freda H Bunnell, born about 1913 FL, marred 1931, Dade CO, FL (Unknown)
(2) George Alva Bunnell, born 02 Aug 1914 NY, died 07 Nov 1997, Miami Dade CO, FL
5. Theodore Curry Bunnell, born 25 May 1886, Pellicer Creek, St Johns CO, FL, died 06 Apr 1942, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married Anna C (LNU), born about 1894, NY. He was a boat engineer in Miami, Dade CO, FL.
6. Alvah Gilbert Bunnell, born 04 Mar 1888, Pellicer Creek, St Johns CO, FL, died 13 Dec 1934, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married around 1919, FL, Ethel M (LNU) born about 1902, FL.
Alvah Gilbert Bunnell married 2nd Annie R (LNU), born about 1897 GA, died Nov 1966, Miami, Dade CO, FL. Issue;
(1) Gilberta C Bunnell, born May 1927, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married 1947, Dade CO, FL (Unknown)
Annie R’s first marriage was to (FNU) Jones. They had two children, Thomas A Jones and Elizabeth Jones.
7. Gus McDonald (Gussie) Bunnell, born 07 Apr 1890, Espanola, St Johns now Flagler CO, FL, died 22 Apr 1938, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married Emma (LNU) born about 1899, FL. Gus was a steam engineer. Issue;
(1) Donald R Bunnell, born 25 Oct 1916, Miami, Dade CO, FL, died 06 May 1979, Dade CO, FL. Donald served in the U S Army in WW II
8. Susie Angeline Bunnell, born 23 Dec 1892, Espanola, St Johns now Flagler CO, FL, died 18 Mar 1977, New Smyrna Beach, Volusia CO, FL, buried Miami Memorial Cemetery, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married about 1920, Elmer H. Hall, born about 1885, FL. Issue;
(1) Thelma Hall, born about 1922, FL. She resided Dallas, TX
(2) Elmer H. Hall Jr., born 19 Feb 1925, FL, died 14 Jul 2008, Louisville, Jefferson CO, KY, probably
9. Emmet Peas Bunnell, born 05 Jul1895, Bunnell Stop, St Johns now Flagler CO, FL, died 14 Oct 1971, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married Thelma A (LNU), born about 1896 AL. He was a mechanic.
10. Otis Way Bunnell, born 05 Apr 1898 FL, died 27 Apr 1962, Miami, Dade CO, FL, married Gertrude (Div, 1947, Miami, Dade CO, FL)
Source: The First Families of Flagler by Mary Ketus Deen Holland who cited as her sources, Census, Public Records and Published Articles.
Other sources used by the compiler were: Census, 1900, St Johns CO, FL, Bunnell (218/221); Census, 1910, North Miami, Dade CO, FL; Census, 1910, Hillsborough CO, FL, Tampa Ward 8, 18 Apr 1910, by Francis J Christ; Census, 1920, Erie CO, NY, Kenmore, Dist 334, 03 Jan 1920 by Virginia A Diebold; Census, 1920, Dade CO, FL, Miami, Dist 22, 6th Precinct, 9 Jan 1920 by Mary A Bradford; Census, 1920, Okeechobee, Okeechobee CO, FL; Census 1930, Dade CO, FL, Miami, Dist 59, 8-9 Apr 1930 by Mrs John G Bromley; Census, 1930, Dade CO, FL, Miami, Dist 17, Precinct 12, 10 Apr 1930 by Alfred Ketty; Social Security Death Index; Georgia Deaths, 1919-98; Florida Death Index, 1877-1998; North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996; World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; Family information posted on ancestry.com; and U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946.
Please send questions, corrections or additions to Sisco Deen, P.O. Box 637, Flagler Beach, FL 32136 or email him at Sisco_Deen@hotmail.com